Sutton Probus Club is one of hundreds of Probus Clubs in the United Kingdom and was formed in July 1971.
The Club’s ethos is “to seek to foster fellowship and goodwill among its members and to engage in such social activities as members shall agree.”
You can find out more about the history of Probus clubs from Probus Online.
Sutton is a large town on the lower slopes of the North Downs in south London, England which has the administrative headquarters of the London Borough of Sutton. It is located 10.9 miles (17.5 km) south-southwest of Charing Cross and is one of the major metropolitan centres identified in the London Plan. The town was connected to central London by rail in 1847. An ancient parish in the county of Surrey, Sutton significantly expanded and increased in population as part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century. It became a municipal borough with neighbouring Cheam in 1934, and has formed part of Greater London since 1965. It now forms a significant civic and retail district.
The place name Sutton is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudtone. It is formed from Old English suth and tun, meaning the south farm. It was probably in relation to Mitcham and Morden that it was considered southerly. The name was later applied to Sutton Common and the Sutton New Town development in the 19th century.
Sutton came within the area of the Metropolitan Police District in 1840. The parish authorities lost control of poor relief in 1834 when the parish was grouped into Epsom Poor Law Union. This led to the parish forming part of the Epsom Rural Sanitary District from 1875. The parish of Sutton adopted the Local Government Act 1858 in 1882 and a local board was formed to govern the area, which was constituted a local government district. The Local Government Act 1894 reformed it as Sutton Urban District, governed by an urban district council. In 1928 the area of the urban district was expanded, by the addition of the parish of Cheam. The urban district was renamed to Sutton and Cheam to reflect this. The urban district council successfully petitioned for a charter of incorporation and the town became a municipal borough in 1934. Having only nominal existence within a municipal borough, the civil parishes were merged in 1949. The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 and its former area became part of the London Borough of Sutton in Greater London.
This is ‘Jenny the Giraffe’, the Sutton Football club’s lovable Mascot; our luncheon meetings are held at Sutton Football Club.